Saturday, June 29, 2013

Smart Shopping Saturdays #2

Apparel
As you probably know by now, I am what you might call a Lululemon addict. I first discovered the company back in 2010. I was so excited for my first products to come in the mail: a scoop neck tank and another tank, both of which have been discontinued. Next I ordered a define jacket and a pair of Wunder Under pants, both in black and I fell in love. Wunder Under's are Lululemon's signature long spandex pants. They have a band around the top which sometimes has a color or pattern on it and keeps everything nice and smooth. The price is a bit steep but hese pants are so comfortable and last forever. I'm still wearing the pair I purchased back in 2010 and they're still in good condition. The only catch is that you cannot wash Lululemon products with cotton because it will cause the material to pill.

You can find the Wunder Unders under pants on the Lululemon website here

Hair
This product is an absolute MUST have for any girl, like myself, with long thick hair. Before I discovered the Scunci No-Slip Evolution Hair Ties I used to use two or three regular hair ties and I would still be adjusting my ponytail mid practice. By the end of my program my ponytail would be almost completely out and my hair would be in my eyes and in my mouth. It was disastrous. I was sick of my ponytails falling out and just when I thought I'd tried everything I discovered these magical hair ties. They are completely made of a rubbery material and are just a stretchy as any other product. I was in disbelief after a two and a half hour practice that I didn't have to touch my pony-tail once. You do have to be careful when taking these out at the end of the day however. If you simply pull them out like you would any other hair tie you will probably pull out half of your hair with it. I suggest that you unwind it out of your hair the opposite of how you put it in. These hair ties have made training so much more productive and I never leave the house without one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scunci-No-Slip-Grip-Evolution-Hair-Ties-14-count/21693253

Accessories
Skate laces are usually a personal choice and every person uses whatever they most feel comfortable with. There isn't one make or material of skate lace that I would list as a must have for all skaters because all skaters are different when it comes to their feet. I use 100% nylon laces in my skates. I find that they have more stretch and stay tighter longer than cotton laces. Because they are so thin, the nylon laces have a tendency to shred pinkie fingers and leave nasty callouses in their wake. Cotton on the other hand is thick but also very rough on dry hands. Cotton doesn't usually stay as tight for as long nor can it get as tight as the nylon. The thickness of the lace, however will probably save your hands. A cotton nylon blend is a good way to get the benefits of each.

Blades
When it was time for me to get new boots and blades I decided to go with something new and try out the paramount blades that were all the craze at the time, and frankly, still are. These blades come in all kinds of funky colors and are supposed to be an extra light material that will help you to jump higher. They are also supposed to be made of a metal that only requires sharpening once every two months or so versus once every two weeks. I purchased these blades and I was very excited for them to come. I had them mounted on my skates and the next day I was ready to go. Boy was I in for it. These blades look heavy-duty and bulky, nothing like my old delicate silver blades that were on my old skates. Worst of all they are loud. And when I say loud, I mean LOUD. Every movement, every edge, every jump take off and landing is amplified beyond belief. I used to be a soft, quiet skater. Now, especially on hard ice, I sound loud and heavy. The only benefit to these blades is that they don't need to be sharpened quite as much as other blades but it is far from being two months. I need them done about every 3-4 weeks as it does not take them very long to dull up. I will not be putting these blades back on when I get new boots.

http://www.paramountskates.com








No comments:

Post a Comment