Saturday, May 18, 2013

On Anxiety

We've all done it. The groups come out for a competition and we scramble over to Google to search the names of each and every unfamiliar girl. We look at facebooks, twitters, icenetwork, scouring the internet for any information we can find. Does she have triples? Has she made it out of regionals? Is she a strong competitor? Sometimes we don't even need to search the internet, sometimes we already know the answers. And sometimes the answers we find are much different from the ones that we are searching for. 
This practice is a major contributor to pre-competition anxiety. Sometimes we tell ourselves, at least I do, that it helps to relieve stress, that it paints me a picture of what to expect. But the truth is, we can't predict the results of an event, we can't judge a skater's ability by previous competition results or the levels on his or her spins. The only factor that we can control is ourselves. Our skating. Our programs. Our performance. Finding out all of these insignificant, or even significant details, are nothing but distractors from what really matters. How many times have you spent time on the ice worrying about that girl that's in your group that has all the jumps, has all the spins, she competed at sectionals, but when you get to the competition she turns out to be less than what you thought. Or even the other way around, have you ever wrote someone off and then to your surprise they beat you? Facebook stalking someone, or looking up their results on ice network is really something to stay away from. The more we try and predict where we will place at an event, the more it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. And you're right, at then end of the day you'll be able to say "I was right! I thought I was going to come in last and I did." But really, it works the other way around. You came in last because you said you were going to come in last. You told yourself, before your feet had even touched the ice that you were going to skate badly, that others were going to be better. 
Coaches can give you advice, they can tell you how to think, what to think or even how to try to relax but none of this will work if you don't allow it to work. Only you can flip that switch off in your head, free your body and allow yourself to skate. Only you can flush away the nerves and there isn't a magic phrase or golden tip that can teach you how to do this. I have struggled with competition nerves my whole life, and I've been around the block a few times. I'm not a psychologist or a psychiatrist or even a coach, but I am a skater and I am a competitor. Here are a few tips I would suggest on handling nerves:
1. Have a key phrase you repeat in your head before every jump. I always say  "LAND"in my head right before I take off, and it works every time. 
2. Always remember to breathe. Sometimes, just focusing on your breathing is enough to get your mind off of the nerves. 
3. Remember why you are doing this. Do you love skating? Do you love performing? Do you love competing? And skate for those reasons.
4. Skate for no one other than yourself. Put everyone else out of your head. If you're feeling pressure from your parents, coach, judges, other skaters, anyone, push it aside and block it out. (easier said than done, I know)
5. Listen to the music. Whether I'm on the ice or off, music always takes my mind away from the stress and puts my head in the game. On the ice, pay attention to your music. Skate to the music and not with it. 
6. Remember, placements are NOT a representation of your ability as a skater.
7. Write a list, on paper with a pen or pencil. Repeat the words "I can do this" over and over again.
8. YOU are in control
The best I can do is give you some tips that sometimes work for me, but only you are in control of your nerves and your performance. 
Best of Luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment